Opportunity--> Every year, Americans
are getting busier and busier, giving them less free time on a weekly
basis.
Who: Americans
What: not having free time for errands
or family time.
Why: A lot going on around them, everyone is
on a non-stop pace.
The "who"--> It
doesn't just have to be Americans, it is anyone living a busy lifestyle,
whether it be in Europe, Australia, etc.
The "what" --> The
boundaries for this opportunity some people truly like living busy lifestyles.
If they have good time management skills, then they can make time for anything
and anyone.
The" why"--> Why is our world going at a fast pace? I believe we constantly think that "we don't have enough time" or that we are afraid of falling behind.
Interview#1
In this
interview, I asked some questions to one of my friends that moved to New York
City last year and is currently attending NYU. To summarize, she told me that
living in New York is very different than living in Florida. Everyone here has
a place to be and no one can slow them down. I see people multitasking all the
time to get things done faster, for example walking while answering some emails
on their phones. She stated that she likes to break from her phone while in her
dorm but her roommates judge her when she does that and she doesn't know why
because it's not affecting their lives at all.
Given your interviews, what do you know
about the opportunity that you didn't know before? --> Giving yourself
mental breaks is good if you are a person that is living at a very fast
pace.
Interview #2
In this interview, I asked my neighbor from back home in
Orlando a few questions about her lifestyle. For some background information,
she has 2 kids in middle school and doesn't have a job. To summarize, she told
me that she likes being in super involved in her kids' life by being a part of
PTSA (Parent-Teacher-Student Association). She liked to keep a schedule of what
she must do every day because even though she doesn't have a paying job, her
job as mom keeps her very busy.
Given
your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you didn't know
before? --> Living a busy lifestyle is manageable if you keep a schedule to
lose track of the things you must do.
Interview #3
In this interview, I asked my old teammate that is
currently a senior in high school about her lifestyle. He takes 7 AP classes
along with being captain of the team and being president of the National Honors
Society. He told me that he only sleeps an average of 4 hours every school
night because he always stays up late doing homework after rehearsals and club
meeting. Thankfully he has both parents to lean on for healthy meals every day
for energy to keep on moving throughout the day. He can't wait until he
graduates high school because he believes he will have a lot more free time in
college
Given
your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you didn't know
before? --> If you are living a busy lifestyle, having people to help you
out is very useful especially if they do it out of love.
Interview #4
In this interview, I asked my anatomy professor about her
lifestyle. She wakes up at 4:30am every day to go workout before she gets ready
to come to work. She stated that being awake before everyone else really helps
to give you a breather because no is rushing you. The first class she teaches
is at 8:30am every day and during her free time, she answers all her online
student's questions. She is thankful for having undergraduate and graduate
teach assistants to help her out with grading and assisting during lab
lectures.
Given
your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you didn't know
before? --> Being an early bird can improve your mental health and
performance of the day
Interview #5
In this interview, I interviewed my cousin that recently
graduated high school but is taking a gap year before she starts college. She
is currently working full time as a waitress in a Disney restaurant. She told
me that she has a lot of free time after she finishes her work and she likes to
go out with her friends to the beach a lot. She stated that she liked living a
relaxed lifestyle with no worries and not that many time commitments.
Given
your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you didn't know
before? --> People who live a more relaxed lifestyle typically don't have a
lot of responsibilities, now-and-days.
Hi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI love the opportunity you chose. I agree that in our society today, we are all so fast moving and busy so there could definitely be an opportunity there. I liked how you interviewed a different range of people from family, to friends, to your professor. Moreover, your step 5 reflections were well thought out and provided more context for your opportunity.
Hi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree that we are living very fast paced lives. We often have to multitask in order to get everything done in time. I think you did a great job of laying out the opportunity/problem, however, I was a little confused about the solution you were presenting to this issue. This post could be improved if you clearly describe your solution to the fast paced lifestyle? Overall, great post!
Hey Sandra, I think your opportunity is something everyone can relate to especially those who work full time. I'm not sure what solution to this problem you would be able to solve considering this is just how our society has been for decades. I know for example in Europe it is a lot more laid back than in America. That reason, i'm not sure. Maybe American's feel the need to keep busy. Your interviews were good and detailed. Hope you find a solution to this! (:
ReplyDeleteHi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great opportunity you have identified! You must have a pretty good entrepreneurship mindset, as I think of being busy as just a fact of a full life. I probably would not have noticed a business opportunity here! Anyway, as someone who is currently stressed about all the things I have to do and the non-existent time I have to do them (while still sleeping and eating lol), I am super excited to read about your solution to this!
Hey Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to the opportunity that you have chosen. In today's world people have become so wrapped up in their busy lives that they often forget to take a step back just to appreciate what they have. Overall you did a great job analyzing this opportunity and took the time to really interview these subjects to see how they felt about the topic. Great work !
Great opportunity I believe this is a sure fire way to get people thinking but its kind pf unrealistic in the sense of saving time? What i mean by this is doing laundry in itself is a time consuming thing and most people don't fold their clothes anymore they simply hang them up or throw them in their drawers etc. Id be interested to see what demographic you find to satisfy this need.
ReplyDelete