Skip to main content

Growing Social Capital: Assignment 20

Domain Expert:

1. Who they are and what their background is
- Dr. Montero is a local general dentist back home in Orlando. She has been a dentist for over 30
years and has seen how dentistry has changed because of the inventions in technology.

2. Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot
- This person fits in the domain expert slot because she has experience in the field of dentistry which is where I want to my dental service to expand in.

3. A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
- The person I contacted is the dentist I am currently shadowing when ever I go home for a break. I found her through my Dad that has a friend who is a dentist assistant and knows Dr.Montero.

4. The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
- She answered my questions about how to market the dental service and gave me many tips on how to market this product in the industry. She was very intrigued with my idea and would be very happy to sponsor me one day.
5. How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
- By including this person, I can gain connections to spread the word about this new dental service because the idea is that is will be sold at dental clinics.

Market Expert:

1. Who they are and what their background is
- Alba Garcia is an invisalign representative and has been working for the company, Smile Direct Club, for over one year.
2. Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot
- This person fits in the market expert slot because he is selling the product that I would theoretically be competing with.
3. A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
- I found this person by looking up a company that sells Invisalign and looking at their website for any contact information.
4. The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
- She answered my questions about how they distribute the product and how the process of making and shipping the Invisalign works.

5. How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
- Alba is a very person that can answer any question about the product she is trying to sell. This shows that she is very dedicated to knowing the ins and outs of her product. She can one day help me sell the product when it's time to shift the business online to reach a larger crowd.

Industry supplier:

1. Who they are and what their background is.
- Fernando Perez is colgate-palmolive representative.

2. Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot
- This person fills in the Industry supplier slot because if I want to go big in my dental service, I would want to negotiate with Colgate because of how big their company already is.

3. A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
- I found this person by searching Colgate suppliers on google and emailing a representative.

4. The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
- After a few back and forth emails, Fernando answered my questions about how Colgate gets new product on the market. After explaining my idea for the far future, he said it was a great pitch and wanted to know more details on how I plan on making the device.

5. How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
- This person can connect me to large companies like Colgate if I want to go international in my dental service. He also opened my eyes as to how hard it’s going to be to get all the papers done for making this partnership work.


How will this experience shape how you participate in any future networking events? Did this experience differ from your networking experiences in the past? How?
- This experience opened my eyes to asking the proper questions when networking. Making connections and keeping them is everything in the business world and is definitely something I want to work on in the future. I haven’t really done networking before because I am not a business major so I haven’t attended any of the career showcases on campus.

Comments

  1. Hi Sandra,

    I loved the way that you organized this post and it helped me so much with getting through and discovering your most important content within it. It seemed like you did a great job finding people who were able to fit into each category. Making connections is so important in the business world and this assignment helped to push us and let us make the first step. I'm glad you were able to have fun with it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job at making the connections for your business venture. It's good that your reached out to a representative for Smile Direct Club because they're already in the industry of where your product will be selling. Also, connecting with a company as big as Colgate is an excellent idea, especially when you're trying to get a partnership for your product. I feel like connecting with either Colgate or Crest would be great ideas, so you made a great move at contacting them for your industry supplier section. I recommend going to some of the sessions for career showcase some time because they have a lot of good companies that come here and it'd be very beneficial when it comes to not only your business idea but also for future connections and job opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment