1) Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course?
- I have used my time management skills to keep up with the requirements of this course. I am currently taking 17 credits including anatomy, inorganic, two lab courses, and another online class, so I barely have had time for myself lately, to say the least. When I want to take a break from my rigorous chemistry courses, I go to this class and get the assignments done at least a couple days before the due date (most of the time) to not stress out if I leave it for the last minute.
2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?
- I felt like giving up when it came to the elevator pitch video. I filmed the video so many times and I kept on messing up. After taking a 3-minute mental break, I turned the camera on again and it only took me a few more takes to get an acceptable video to turn in. I do feel like I developed a tenacious attitude these past two months because I am so determined to get good grades, that I will do anything even if it means not sleeping.
3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset'?
- A skill that could support tenacity is creating a schedule for the day, every day. This way you don't forget what needs to get done and you can prioritize what needs to get done first. A tip for developing this mindset is to never give up no matter how hard the class gets. The semester is eventually going to end and just remind yourself that you are already this far along in the semester and there's no going back now. Another tip for developing this mindset could be to have positive people around you. Friends that believe in you and support you are the ones that are going to be there for you when you are going through a rough time in the semester. Friends that are also in the same career path as you could really help you stay motivated, focused, and not lose faith.
Hi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteOne thing that I would like to note here is that my obstacle was exactly the same as yours. The elevator pitch was something that I struggled with and I am glad that you were able to overcome it as well as I did. It's awesome to know that you are so passionate about your grades and have a headstrong attitude towards getting it done no matter the challenge. Great work!
Hey Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI definitely get where you're coming from on the elevator pitch, I probably spent 45 minutes and 30 or so takes trying to get the wording right. I admire your tenacity and drive to push through your the semester and finish strong, it's so easy to get overwhelmed and just give up on a class in order to focus on your more difficult classes. Planners are essential in getting through the semester, I have no idea how people can just go home and glance at canvas to see what's due each day. That's just way too risky for me.