1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
- The book I chose was How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. The general theme of the book is that all need to be successful is energy, a system, and it doesn't matter how much you fail in life. The author believes that it is better to be good at multiple things rather than to be excellent in one.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
- One similar topic that I learned in both the book and in the ENT 3003 is how to present yourself. Its all about what you wear, what you say, and how you say it. The book also emphasizes that failing is okay and Dr. Pryor also says that we use moments and learn from them.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
- I would design an exercise where you can list your mediocre skills and find a way to use them that could help you build a business. This would involve self-reflection and thinking of odd ways to use these so-called "useless" skills.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
- The biggest "aha" moment I had while reading this book was when the author wrote that having systems is better than having goals. A system is a pattern and once you build on that pattern it becomes a lifestyle and then you have reached or even surpassed your initial goal. Having a system is basically a stepping tool to get towards your goal, but make sure your focus is on the system and not the goal.
- The book I chose was How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. The general theme of the book is that all need to be successful is energy, a system, and it doesn't matter how much you fail in life. The author believes that it is better to be good at multiple things rather than to be excellent in one.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
- One similar topic that I learned in both the book and in the ENT 3003 is how to present yourself. Its all about what you wear, what you say, and how you say it. The book also emphasizes that failing is okay and Dr. Pryor also says that we use moments and learn from them.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
- I would design an exercise where you can list your mediocre skills and find a way to use them that could help you build a business. This would involve self-reflection and thinking of odd ways to use these so-called "useless" skills.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
- The biggest "aha" moment I had while reading this book was when the author wrote that having systems is better than having goals. A system is a pattern and once you build on that pattern it becomes a lifestyle and then you have reached or even surpassed your initial goal. Having a system is basically a stepping tool to get towards your goal, but make sure your focus is on the system and not the goal.
Hello Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI also read this book! I love how we both had similar points from the general theme of the book, but we have different "aha" moments when reading. I liked the exercise you chose for the class based on the book. I think it displays key ideas from the book, while also relating to ENT3003. I also found it interesting that systems were better than having goals. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post!
Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI really like that the author touches on presenting yourself and putting your best foot forward, I believe that this is one of the simplest things that separates those who care from those who do not. I find the authors point of having a system very interesting, I never really thought about success this way but it makes a lot of sense.
Hi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI read this book as well and had a wonderful time with it. I really enjoyed the exercise that you chose to create with this book. Although it was a great book and delved into a lot of different themes and had plenty of 'aha' moments I think its funny that we both were able to see very similar ones. Over all you did a great job analyzing the book and seeing how it compared to our class as a whole. Keep up the good work!