Skip to main content

Celebrating Failure: Assignment 26

This past semester has actually been one of my toughest semesters yet. It's my first "real" semester here in UF (summer semester is different) and I'm trying to balance clubs, volunteering, new friends and 17 credits of classes. My toughest class has been inorganic chemistry, and at this point, I just want to pass the class. I did well on the first quiz, but when it came to the second one, the professor quizzed us on material we weren't prepared for. Everyone studied the homework because that's what he said the quizzes were going to be on and we got quizzed on something that he said we didn't have to memorize yet were supposed to know it on the quiz.

After getting my score back and finding out that I failed that quiz (first quiz that I have ever failed in my life), I wanted to cry but I knew I had to change somethings about my studying. For our second midterm that was coming up, I decided to study all the lecture notes that I wrote and the ones posted on canvas. I also did all the homework again and went to office hours whenever I wasn't confident in a section of a chapter. I did a lot better on this exam but for me, it still wasn't enough for me to be happy. I am currently studying for the final and I am doing everything I can to get a decent final grade in this class.

Reflection: I learned that as long as I set enough time aside for this class, go to office hours, and study every little concept, it is possible to get a good grade in inorganic chemistry. I consider myself a determined person, so if I want something to happen, then all I have to do is set my mind on it and it will get done. I believe that without failure, you won't appreciate success as much as you would if you did go through some sort of failure. This class hasn't really changed my perspective about failure but I am more inclined to take risks in regards to starting a business in the future. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sandra,
    I enjoyed reading your post! Accepting failure can be very difficult sometimes but I think you handled your failure in a very positive manner. I have failed a decent amount of quizzes before so I understand how it can be disappointing. However, i think its awesome how you learned from your failure and want to improve based on what you learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,

    This story sounds all too familiar because I have friends that have taken that class as well. I can also relate to the feeling of putting a lot of work into something without getting the results you hoped for. It sounds like this will be a great lesson for you to carry with you on your journey through entrepreneurship, because as we know there will be failure and disappointments. But like you said, it makes us appreciate success all the more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra,
    I have experienced my fair share of failures, including within classes. I believe one of the greatest life lessons that comes from our college experience is learning how to handle failure. We are faced with failure every other day, and thus we begin to learn how to cope. To face failure, accept it, and finally grow from it. This is a lesson that we must implement in all aspects in life and I am glad you have been able to grow from your previous failures. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra,
    College definitely teaches us more about failure than anything in life. Before college its almost easy to get past life without truly feeling undefeated. The first class where you are just. trying to get the. decent grade really does shape you for other ventures coming. Your. outlook towards failure is so true you can only success if you felt failure. also remember "failure" is just a concept its truly a lesson learned or it wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment