One thing that surprised me most about Phil Knight is that he went on a trip around the world, stopped by Japan and left with a whole business after contacting Mr. Onitsuka, CEO of Tiger brand, and got distribution rights to sell these shoes in the US. I admired that Phil had no fear of failing, he had an idea and went for it without a second thought in his mind. I couldn't find a trait that I didn't admire about Phil Knight, he was a hard-headed person and never looked back at any decision he made. Phil encountered failures many times and every time he failed, he didn't dwell on it. Instead, he moved on to his next spontaneous idea.
Phil Knight had many competencies suck as communication. He was able to communicate his plan well enough to have his mentor, Bill Bowerman, become his partner in his new business. One part that confused me about this reading is how having a "hands-off management" approach got them to be very successful. Usually, one hears that being hands-on is better and makes you more organized.
Phil Knight had many competencies suck as communication. He was able to communicate his plan well enough to have his mentor, Bill Bowerman, become his partner in his new business. One part that confused me about this reading is how having a "hands-off management" approach got them to be very successful. Usually, one hears that being hands-on is better and makes you more organized.
I would want to ask him "Did you ever have a plan B?" because he took so many risks and what if all his ideas failed, then what would he had done to make a living. I also want to ask him "Where did you learn how to be fearless of risks?" I want to ask this question because I don't think you are born this way, he had to realize that being risky worked better for him somehow. Phil Knight believes that as long as you put hard work into what you are doing, then you can do anything you set your mind on. I also believe the same thing because I consider myself to be a disciplined person, so as long as I make a schedule to reach a goal, I can stick to it and then reach my end goal one day.
Hi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteWhen it came to our last reading reflection I thought it was so cool that we were able to pick between either category. I hadn't read the book that you chose, however I can see that you did a great analysis on it. Something that I felt most interested in is the questions that you decided to ask. I have never wondered if major companies or CEO's had had a plan B when they entered their business, but now I am extremely curious. Overall I think you did a great job, thanks for sharing!