Opportunity:
The traditional way of straightening your teeth is by getting braces where the treatment could take about 2 years, more or less. Having braces could also lead to bullying and increase the risk of low self-esteem. In recent years, a new way of achieving the same results without using metals was created called Invisalign. This is treatment is for small changes only and can't be used to change the overbite. This is where I saw the opportunity to create something that could avoid bullying and could make major changes to your mouth structure. The "window of opportunity" is always going to be there because it is an unmet "need" that needs to be solved.
Innovation:
The device I invented would be placed on kids that already have their facial teeth showing. Its job is to guide the teeth in the correct direction as they are growing, giving the child a straight smile from the start. The device would be worn until all baby teeth have fallen off and the adult teeth have grown all the way. To avoid bullying, the device would be worn at night while sleeping so that the child won't be seen in public. I plan on implanting this device on the front teeth also called incisors because those are teeth that become adult teeth first. As of right now, I don't know if the child would need the treatment in the long because some teeth grow straight naturally without the need for this device. However, after going to dental school in the next few years, I hope to have an answer to this. The treatment would cost about $30 monthly. The reason I making it a monthly payment is because the patient will have to see the dentist on a monthly basis for check up on the progress and to make the treatment payments more affordable instead of a payment all at once. The high cost is due to having to modify the device every time a new tooth fall and grows. The goal is to make the device as close to being pain-free as possible for the convenience of the child.
Venture concept:
The idea is that my customers will be parents because children themselves, obviously, won't be able
to pay for this treatment. One reason why parents would want to buy this for their child would be to avoid bullying from having braces or crooked teeth. This product gives them the same results but avoids the whole "crooked teeth" look that nobody wants. My competitors would be orthodontists that do regular braces and companies that sell Invisalign. For Invisalign, their weakness is that they can only do small changes in the teeth because a plastic wrapping can't move your whole jaw to fix an overbite. For regular braces, their weakness is having to put metal on the teeth which are not an ideal look for a child that might be going through low self-esteem issues. Customer support is a defining factor for my business because I need them to be patient to see results. Teeth take a long time to grow so patience is something that might not come that easy to some people. I would want to have connected with multiple dentists because the idea is to sell the product in dental clinics for easy access and check-ups form your local dentist.
3 Minor elements:
Competitors won't be able to copy my success because no one has the passion and connection that I have. Just creating the device itself to be perfect will take a lot of effort and motivation, so without passion one can easily give up. My next idea is to get kids to like going to the dentist. I could maybe hold events that are engaging in toddlers and take their fear from dentists away. Within the next five years, I would hope to have gained enough money to travel to third world counties and treat the underserved with annual check-ups. Having bad oral hygiene could lead to diseases in the body system which most third world counties have.
Describe how you changed your venture concept, based on what you learned from the feedback.
- I added more details about why I chose to have a monthly since it was unclear the first time around. I also included how exactly the device will be placed on the child's mouth so that parents will know what they are getting themselves into when purchasing this treatment.
Provide a summary of the feedback you received from your previous venture concept description.
- The feedback I got from the first venture concept was mostly positive however, some students states that I need to add more detail about why having monthly payments is better. Another student that is a parent stated that her son had crooked teeth growing up, but now that he is all grown, they are all aligned and straight. So, she wanted to know how I would know if the child would require this treatment. all the other feedback I received was positive including the interviews from the "What's Next?" assignment.
The traditional way of straightening your teeth is by getting braces where the treatment could take about 2 years, more or less. Having braces could also lead to bullying and increase the risk of low self-esteem. In recent years, a new way of achieving the same results without using metals was created called Invisalign. This is treatment is for small changes only and can't be used to change the overbite. This is where I saw the opportunity to create something that could avoid bullying and could make major changes to your mouth structure. The "window of opportunity" is always going to be there because it is an unmet "need" that needs to be solved.
Innovation:
The device I invented would be placed on kids that already have their facial teeth showing. Its job is to guide the teeth in the correct direction as they are growing, giving the child a straight smile from the start. The device would be worn until all baby teeth have fallen off and the adult teeth have grown all the way. To avoid bullying, the device would be worn at night while sleeping so that the child won't be seen in public. I plan on implanting this device on the front teeth also called incisors because those are teeth that become adult teeth first. As of right now, I don't know if the child would need the treatment in the long because some teeth grow straight naturally without the need for this device. However, after going to dental school in the next few years, I hope to have an answer to this. The treatment would cost about $30 monthly. The reason I making it a monthly payment is because the patient will have to see the dentist on a monthly basis for check up on the progress and to make the treatment payments more affordable instead of a payment all at once. The high cost is due to having to modify the device every time a new tooth fall and grows. The goal is to make the device as close to being pain-free as possible for the convenience of the child.
Venture concept:
The idea is that my customers will be parents because children themselves, obviously, won't be able
to pay for this treatment. One reason why parents would want to buy this for their child would be to avoid bullying from having braces or crooked teeth. This product gives them the same results but avoids the whole "crooked teeth" look that nobody wants. My competitors would be orthodontists that do regular braces and companies that sell Invisalign. For Invisalign, their weakness is that they can only do small changes in the teeth because a plastic wrapping can't move your whole jaw to fix an overbite. For regular braces, their weakness is having to put metal on the teeth which are not an ideal look for a child that might be going through low self-esteem issues. Customer support is a defining factor for my business because I need them to be patient to see results. Teeth take a long time to grow so patience is something that might not come that easy to some people. I would want to have connected with multiple dentists because the idea is to sell the product in dental clinics for easy access and check-ups form your local dentist.
3 Minor elements:
Competitors won't be able to copy my success because no one has the passion and connection that I have. Just creating the device itself to be perfect will take a lot of effort and motivation, so without passion one can easily give up. My next idea is to get kids to like going to the dentist. I could maybe hold events that are engaging in toddlers and take their fear from dentists away. Within the next five years, I would hope to have gained enough money to travel to third world counties and treat the underserved with annual check-ups. Having bad oral hygiene could lead to diseases in the body system which most third world counties have.
Describe how you changed your venture concept, based on what you learned from the feedback.
- I added more details about why I chose to have a monthly since it was unclear the first time around. I also included how exactly the device will be placed on the child's mouth so that parents will know what they are getting themselves into when purchasing this treatment.
Provide a summary of the feedback you received from your previous venture concept description.
- The feedback I got from the first venture concept was mostly positive however, some students states that I need to add more detail about why having monthly payments is better. Another student that is a parent stated that her son had crooked teeth growing up, but now that he is all grown, they are all aligned and straight. So, she wanted to know how I would know if the child would require this treatment. all the other feedback I received was positive including the interviews from the "What's Next?" assignment.
Sandra,
ReplyDeleteI love that you added more detail. I was very curious on how and when you implement the use of your device. I think it's marvelous around the time the adult teeth are coming in sounds like a perfect time. Also the use of at night does play an important role, young kids tend to be irresponsible and very self conscious. Also your monthly payments seems very inexpensive so I'm sure you will definitely achieve success!
Hi Sandra,
ReplyDeleteThis year it has been so nice being able to see your product grow into what it is. I loved all the finer details that you were able to add into your venture concept. This idea would be able to benefit so many different people. I'm glad to also have seen that the feedback you have received over this course has been so positive, but that you were also able to have some constructive criticism as well. Overall great work!