Skip to main content

What's next: Assignment 25

Existing Market. 
Step 1: After getting my product out there and marketing it in dental offices, my next plan is to make small events for children to learn more about dentistry so that they don't get scared of going for every check-up. This could maybe be a fundraising event to raise money for the underserved areas and give them dental care. 
Step 2: In my first interview, James suggested I come up with a new device that he liked to call "the smart toothbrush" this toothbrush helps you brush every part of your teeth by telling you which parts you might have missed. After telling them my idea (states in step 1), all three interviewees agreed and would definitely bring their kids to have fun and learn. In my second interview, Sara stated that my current business idea is great and that I should make sure my clients stay with me throughout the process since the treatment lasts until all teeth are "adults". I could do this by making contracts with my clients. 
Step 3: Since my main customers are parents with kids, creating something for families to do would be easier because I already have participants. This is why I came up with the idea of making events for kids to feel more comfortable seeing a dentist for their annual check-up. Having an event like this could bring me more clients because my current clients would invite their friends and thus bring me referrals. 
The idea that one of my interviewees came up with a smart toothbrush is also another route I could take after starting my current business idea. This toothbrush could help children learn how to properly brush their teeth and not create bad habits from the start. This will then lead to healthy teeth and a perfect smile. 

New Market.

Step 1:The new market I would want to focus on are the underserved people in third world countries or even in places like Gainesville. The need for dental hygiene is a must to be healthy and be able to chew without being in pain.
Step 2: It is hard for me to find a connection because underserved people are not looking to spend money on getting straight teeth because they have other things to worry about. But my using my creativity, one connection there might be is after having a cleaner smile, they are now more approachable and with places like GRACE marketplace they can land a job somewhere. After gaining enough money they can invest in getting straighter teeth to be even more approachable and then maybe get a promotion at their job. 
Step 3: Both interviewees really appreciated my idea because even though in Gainesville we already have equal access dental clinics, they stated that it takes a long time to actually get served because of the long waitlist. One interviewee mentioned that I should use students as volunteers to save money and serve more people. 
Step 4: I learned that there is potential in this market because unfortunately there are plenty of areas in this world with underserved people. One thing that surprised me the most was how hard it was to get in contact with the people I chose to interview. I have to personally go to the GRACE marketplace and talk to the head coordinator to see if I could interview someone for a class. 
My assumptions about the need for underserved people for dental care was in fact correct. This second market seems just as attractive as my existing market, just in a different way because the service provided would be modified. The existing market would be a little easier to work with, do the fact that they will be paying for the service while with the new market the service would be for free. 


Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your post! I think it was very straightforward and well executed. I think your interviews just reassured your venture concept and helped you mark out any outside options that won't work within your opportunity. I also really like the new market you decided to research, because it is very possible for you to do this in other countries once you are established and well known in the states. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,
    I loved your post! You went into great detail in your post and chose interviews that were very useful and relevant to your product. I liked the idea of possibly incorporating a contract into business to make sure the clients continue the service. The smart toothbrush is also great idea as well and could reach an even wider market range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra,
    You new market idea is amazing! I have traveled a lot and there are so many countries tries where dental hygiene is not a priority for their health. I think in the US we are taught that dental hygiene is such an important role inn Personla hygiene that its crazy to think that on other parts of the world its not a priority. I also have seen very impoverished countries like in Africa, where dental hygiene is very important and they will use uncommon tools to clean their teeth. So providing proper tools for them and educating and bringing awareness to other countries is a great new market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra,

    I think your new market is awesome! Throughout all of this I think one big thing that you have kept in mind is others. By having the consumers well being in mind, it shows through your work and what you have to do. I think it is amazing that your new market will be targeting populations that are in desperate need of dental health and those that do not have the funds necessary. Everything you are doing is great, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment